From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:53:39
1 On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 13:02 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > I think the original poster hit the nail on the head. The real
3 > barrier preventing a slower-moving tree is cultural.
4
5 Somewhat.
6
7 As I have said, I've mentioned several times the idea of doing a
8 "release tree" to go along with each release. Support on these trees
9 would be essentially equivalent to our security support model. We would
10 support only packages marked stable. Of course, we also understand that
11 since we're building off upstream's work, there *will* be times when a
12 version bump is necessary to reduce our workload. Basically, our rule
13 is kinda like this.
14
15 No version changes on any packages, except those which are necessary due
16 to a security violation, or a vulnerable package's dependencies.
17
18 Now, I don't know if it is the best approach, but it is the best one
19 that I could come up with on my own that allows for a slow-moving tree
20 with higher QA done on it (as the release trees are what we use for
21 releases, they undergo an enormous amount of testing, in the default
22 configuration, of course) and minimal changes.
23
24 Something that would be useful would be for package maintainers that
25 wish to participate to perform further testing and validation on
26 packages in the release snapshot prior to its final freeze. This would
27 give us even more eyes on the tree and hopefully provide a much higher
28 quality snapshot once we're done.
29
30 Since it seems that there is still interest in the idea, I'll start
31 working on it some more.
34 Chris Gianelloni
35 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
36 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
37 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
38 Gentoo Foundation