From: Eric Polino <aluink@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Improving developer/user communication (was Re: [gentoo-dev] net-im/pidgin protocols)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:45:45
1 On 7/19/07, Marijn Schouten (hkBst) <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > joshua jackson wrote:
6 > > Jakub Moc wrote:
7 > >> Petteri Rýty napsal(a):
8 > >>> Or just do it via package.use in profiles until IUSE defaults are
9 > >>> implemented.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Regards,
12 > >>> Petteri
13 > >> As noted before, they are implemented, just not allowed in the tree.
14 > >> Plus, what vapier said, this info belongs to the ebuilds, not to profiles.
15 > >
16 > >> Wrt pidgin - seriously, what's the big issue here? Users can't use
17 > >> emerge -pv output and determine what they want, or? Will we bloat the
18 > >> profiles everytime someone forgets to enable a flag and goes complain
19 > >> upstream about a 'missing' feature?
23 > >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
24 > >
25 > >> !DSPAM:469f3b40137571336712104!
26 > > Honestly..this is not something to get picky over jakub. Upstream was
27 > > nice and actually came and politely asked us to change the defaults to
28 > > what most people would consider sane (all protocols by default). As I
29 > > think most people emerging pidgin..would like to use any protocol by
30 > > default..not go..hey I don't have yahoo, I should check my use flags.
31 > > Which obviously hasn't happened as users pop up in #pidgin to ask why
32 > > the heck there isn't a yahoo account available.
33 > >
34 > > This should be a nothing change to do. Its also working with upstream
35 > > and maintaining some good relationships here..and or help improve them
36 > > in general. That should in fact you know...be part of our goals....to
37 > > improve communications between Gentoo and other projects.
38 >
39 > Perhaps we also need to make it more clear where users can ask such
40 > Gentoo-specific questions about specific packages, so they don't need to go
41 > and annoy upstream. Associate an irc-channel with each package. Most packages
42 > have a herd associated with them which can belong to a project which could
43 > have an irc-channel where the relevant developers could be found and which can
44 > put common problems in its topic. Fallback for when no appropriate irc-channel
45 > can be found would be #gentoo. Currently it is usually difficult to find such
46 > irc-channels or to know if there is none and that your only option is #gentoo
47 > or #$upstream. It would also make it easier for users to start helping
48 > developers and eventually become developers themselves, since they won't need
49 > to search for a point of entry anymore.
50
51 Not sure if this fits in to what you're talking about, but I do know
52 that as myself a "would like to me maintainer someday", I'm somewhat
53 lost as to knowing how I can get involved and who I need to talk to.
54
55 Eric
58 > Marijn
67 > --
68 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
74 http://aluink.blogspot.com
77 "...indexable arrays, which may be thought of as functions whose
78 domains are isomorphic to contiguous subsets of the integers."
79 --Haskell 98 Library Report
80 --
81 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list