From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: EAPI definition Was: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 04:25:43
1 On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:15:10 +0800
2 Zhang Le <r0bertz@g.o> wrote:
3 > I think we should first decide on how EAPI works.
4
5 That was decided a long time ago.
6
7 > Just because we need a new feature, then we produce a new EAPI?
8 > I think that is not feasible, and will confuse developers.
9
10 Uh... Yes. It's entirely feasible, it's how things work and it's an
11 entirely sensible model.
12
13 The *problem* is not EAPI itself. The problem is how EAPI is currently
14 specified by ebuilds. That's all the GLEP changes, and all it really
15 needs to change.
16
17 > >> especially PM specific EAPI. We can't have PM specific EAPI,
18 > >> otherwise we are risking forking/splitting ourself.
19 > >
20 > > Package manager EAPIs don't belong in the main tree, but they have
21 > > uses outside of it.
22 >
23 > Then would you please introduce how paludis-1 EAPI differs from
24 > official EAPI's?
25
26 It has a bunch of arbitrary, randomly changing features that I need
27 when doing test cases for functionality that isn't covered by any
28 official EAPI. For example, a long before EAPI 1 came along, Paludis
29 had slot dep support. In order to test slot deps, we needed an EAPI
30 that permitted them -- hence paludis-1.
33 Ciaran McCreesh