From: Kim Nielsen <kn@××××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Security Vulnerabilities related to a Windows Environment?
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 14:08:03
1 On Mon, 2002-05-27 at 20:00, Allix Primus wrote:
2 >
3 > While reading through page 17 of the 28 page Gentoo Linux Security Guide, I
4 > noticed a lot of information pertaining to patching numerous holes in the
5 > operating system through /proc. These vulnerabilities range from source
6 > routed packets, to ICP redirect acceptance. After searching through quite a
7 > few google pages, I didn't find any Windows specific content on these
8 > topics.
9
10 Windows has some of the same problems. Only windows does not support
11 features like acting as a router per default.
12
13 ICMP packets are dangerous no matter what OS you are using. The process
14 of altering values in /proc is to harden the system and avoid DoS
15 attacks or even helping others to make a DoS attack.
16
17 The trick of altering a route is also know for windows machines and can
18 probably be disabled. But per default any M$ machine will respond to a
19 broadcast. And a windows machine will not per default drop strange hand
20 crafted packets.
21
22 > Are these security vulnerabilities only restricted to linux or can these be
23 > changed on Windows systems as well?
24 No .. the problem still exists .. but most people don't use windows as a
25 router, they use a real router. But Linux can act as a router or a
26 bridge and that is why you need some extra features turned off if you do
27 not use them.
28
29 Windows users normally rely on a personal firewall or a router in front
30 of the server for filtering the right packets. But a router does not
31 filter all ICMP packet correct or cannot filter then because some
32 cracker tools use ICMP as a tunnel for other traffic. This tunnel can be
33 used to send normal IP traffic without a firewall seeing it.
34
35 > Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.
36 >
37 I hope this helped you and I'm sorry that I was not able to give you any
38 links for windows but I haven't used a windows machine for any security
39 project in a lot of years.
40
41 Best regards
42 Kim
43 --
44 I'm the face that stares at you from the shadows.
45 http://www.insecurity.dk