From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Some support for Sunrise Overlay :-)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:31:47
1 Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:
2 > Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 >> I would like to ask all people, who get to users, who want to
4 >> contribute with ebuilds or similar,
5 >> tell them about our sunrise overlay[1][2]. People can learn how to
6 >> write ebuilds, they can learn how
7 >> to write ebuilds with some nice QA, they learn how to manage a SCM (in
8 >> this case svn) and some may
9 >> even enhance to gentoo developers. :-)
10 >> As a side effect, we get a nice collection of ebuild, which are easily
11 >> maintainable even by users
12 >> and which are easily accessable by everyone.
13 >>
14 >> Esp. i would ask those who wrangle bug: If a user contributes an
15 >> ebuild for an app not already in
16 >> portage, tell them about sunrise, so they help out a little bit more,
17 >> if they are interested. With
18 >> that done, something like "sunrise suggested" in Whiteboard would be
19 >> nice.
20 >
21 > I was told to try sunrise with some of my ebuilds. There's a reason I
22 > didn't, and I suspect it's the same other people also don't go to
23 > sunrise. There's no good way of contributing an ebuild. There's no
24 > bugzilla or website where I can upload the ebuild. All I'm told is to
25 > go to IRC. I would as well might have been required to go to McDonald's.
30 You cannot just upload some file and be done with it. Sure, the sunrise overlay is for users, but we
31 want to have some QA standard in there. And if everyone could just upload things without prior
32 review, how would QA of that overlay look like? ;-)
33
34 If you just want to submit an ebuild (which will probably just sit there without anything
35 happening), you can open a bug at bugzilla.gentoo.org. And you are done.
36
37 If you want to do more (learning and contributing), you can try project sunrise. For now it is/was
38 the usual way to use IRC (most are already using it, just another channel and it provides
39 low-latency responses) for support, review and everything else. I would have no problem to create a
40 mailing list for sunrise, but convince me that it would not get maybe 10 messages at the beginning
41 and remains dead later one. ;-)
42
43 > Now, since the sunrise project gets bigger, we might also create a
44 > mailinglist to discuss ebuilds for people can't/do not want to use IRC.
45 > This would also make it possible to CC the mailinglist-address for bugs
46 > where the ebuilds are in sunrise.
47
48 A mailing list may be ok, but dont abuse it as bugzilla account. :-)
49 For bugzilla related things, see my next mail.
50
51 > I disagree. IM does not provide for communication that can be looked-up, which is important.
52 > I post something, many people will look at it and some of them will reply. That is not possible
53 > with IM. A mailing list is also sub-optimal. A forum or bugzilla is needed where
54 > information/communication is stored and can be categorized and looked up.
55
56 Every ebuild in sunrise has a bug at bugzilla. Any relevant information can be stored there. You can
57 also discuss things specific to this ebuild there.
58 In one point, i have to disagree: If you post something in any bigger IRC channel, there will be
59 more than one person looking at it and you may get more than one response. This is even to for
60 #gentoo-sunrise (also you should aim at european evening as that is the time of most acitivity).
61
62 > What about the gentoo-devhelp mailinglist? :) As #gentoo-dev-help is
63 > also a support-channel for ebuild-concerning questions (if I'm not
64 > mistaken). And I can't see the reason for having just-another-ml (TM) ;)
65
66 1. i dont read it ;-)
67 2. it is around help with every sort of ebuilds, not only those in or for sunrise, so would have
68 some "spam" e.g. for me
69 3. it "spam"s the list with things sunrise related for people who are not interested in sunrise
70 overlay specific things.
71
72 Alltogether, i would say, similar reason as for why we have #gentoo-dev-help and #gentoo-sunrise :-)
76 Thomas Sachau
77
78 Gentoo Linux Developer