From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-im/pidgin protocols
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:57:32
1 On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 12:19 +0200, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Petteri Räty napsal(a):
3 > > Or just do it via package.use in profiles until IUSE defaults are
4 > > implemented.
5 > >
6 > > Regards,
7 > > Petteri
8 >
9 > As noted before, they are implemented, just not allowed in the tree.
10 > Plus, what vapier said, this info belongs to the ebuilds, not to profiles.
11 >
12 > Wrt pidgin - seriously, what's the big issue here? Users can't use
13 > emerge -pv output and determine what they want, or? Will we bloat the
14 > profiles everytime someone forgets to enable a flag and goes complain
15 > upstream about a 'missing' feature?
16
17 Unfortunately, that is the state we're currently in with regards to our
18 profiles and the tree. I know I would *love* to see us start using IUSE
19 defaults as soon as possible in the tree. It really would keep the
20 profiles from bloating out too much with ebuild-specific USE flags and
21 such. Also, we (releng) have a current policy of not really allowing
22 local USE in the profiles unless we absolutely have to do so. I mean in
23 USE in make.defaults, not in package.use, which is perfectly acceptable.
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
28 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
29 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
30 Gentoo Foundation