From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 07:41:42
On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 04:50:00 +0100 > Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote: > >> Subject says it all. More and more bug attachments appear that have >> been generated with non-English locales, and it's a nuisance for both >> bug reporters and bug wranglers to request/provide the sane alternative >> that every developer should be able to read. > > How many times have you needed to request build logs in english since the last > time you brought this up?  How many times have you had to request emerge > --info or build logs in general?
I suspect that being able to read logs is much more important for general bug wranglers like Jeroen than for the developers who only deal with bugs for a small set of packages. Although I find non-English logs annoying, they are usually good enough for me to find the problem when dealing with bugs in a package with which I am already familiar. However, I would likely be lost if I needed to help a user who had posted a log in a language that I did not understand for a package that I knew little about. -Alexandre.