From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Reserve slurm user and group uid/gid 500/500
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:00:57
1 On 8/23/19 3:45 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >>
3 >> That used to be acceptable, since the "enewuser" command with the home
4 >> directory was part of the package that used that directory. But now that
5 >> the user data are in another package, we can't depend on them reliably.
8 > ...and why is that, exactly? Are you assuming that someone will take
9 > over the dedicated user for another purpose and change its home
10 > directory?
13 The fact that the home directory can change is a feature that you
14 yourself went out of the way to support. We can't rely on the value of
15 ACCT_USER_HOME in a dependency, and nothing is gained by doing so -- so
16 why do it? That's one reason.
17
18 It also greatly simplifies the guidelines. Have you ever refactored
19 something and had it just feel right? This just feels right. I think
20 most developers don't care about these details and would just like to
21 get the job done. If we can give them a list of a few simple guidelines
22 to follow, then everyone's happy.
23
24 If we put the keepdir/fowners/fperms in the logically-correct place, it
25 allows us to also say: don't use a home directory owned by another
26 package (use the default). That in turn prevents acct-user packages from
27 clobbering the permissions and ownership on stuff that belongs to
28 somebody else. All pros, no cons.