From: Brian Harring <bdharring@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 02:24:58
1 On Friday 11 April 2003 06:04 pm, Jeff Rose wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 > I'm pretty new to gentoo, but I am an instant convert. Just a
4 > few months of emerge bliss and now I'm an avid supporter. Anyway, I'm
5 > thinking about starting a summer project and I'm pondering the idea of a
6 > gui installer. I've been looking around a bit and it doesn't look like
7 > anyone is working on one. Is that true? If there isn't already a project
8 > then I think I'll give it a whirl. I know, I know, gentoo is so great
9 > because it allows you to customize and tweak the hell out of everything.
10 > That is completely true. So, an installer would have to allow just as
11 > much but it could take care of the mundane details for those who aren't
12 > interested or knowledgable enough.
13
14 One thing to consider, obviously you're going to probably have some type of
15 cli based portage viewer/installer as part of it- It would be worthwhile to
16 break the cli portage manager off into a seperate package.
17 I'm curious how high/low level you're intending for the installer. On par w/
18 redhat's server/workstation/custom, or on par w/ debian's?
19 ~harring
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list