From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: removing "server" profile variants from profiles.desc
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 19:55:43
1 On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I hope this discussion doesn't end when the warnings are removed. These
3 > server profiles are still useless and misleading, they do not need to exist
4 > in their current form. Your previous statement that these are the most
5 > minimal profiles, is not accurate. The base profiles are the most minimal
6 > (non-selinux) ones.
7 >
8 > -Ben
11 You need to make a plan then, for smooth transition from server->base
12 profile. Preferably:
13
14 1) a news item explaining why this change is necessary, what useflags
15 do I need to add to make.conf to keep 'base' and 'server' profiles
16 compatible (so I don't have to recompile a bunch of packages just
17 because the default flags changed)
18 2) Make the server profile fatal when trying to emerge a package when
19 this profile is selected ( add a profile.bashrc file that simply dies
20 during pkg_setup)
21 3) Remove it after N * 30 days
24 Regards,
25 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2