From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:27:11
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz kirjoitti:
3 >> Unportable to filesystems that don't support extended attributes isn't
4 >> very interesting to me, unless they're common. Out of curiosity, do you
5 >> know which ones that would be? Looking at my kernel config, ext3 and
6 >> reiser explicitly support xattrs, and I see jfs and xfs have acls and
7 >> security labels, which might be usable. Unsyncable would be a problem,
8 >> so it's a good thing rsync has USE=xattr -- do the difficulties come in
9 >> on the CVS side? Why do you say unmaintainable?
12 > Many users might have extended attributes support turned off in the kernel.
13
14 /me raises hand. yup. don't use 'em. waste of kernel space.