From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:31:01
1 Donnie Berkholz kirjoitti:
2 > On 08:29 Thu 20 Dec , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:38:01 -0800
4 >> Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> Here's some other ideas for how to express EAPI. What if we:
6 >>>
7 >>> Used EAPI-named subdirectories instead of tagging it into the
8 >>> filename?
9 >> Performance hit, and otherwise equivalent to using suffixes.
10 >
11 > Not quite so ugly-looking to my eyes.
12 >
13 >>> Used (and required) filesystem extended attributes?
14 >> Unportable, unsyncable and unmaintainable.
15 >
16 > Unportable to filesystems that don't support extended attributes isn't
17 > very interesting to me, unless they're common. Out of curiosity, do you
18 > know which ones that would be? Looking at my kernel config, ext3 and
19 > reiser explicitly support xattrs, and I see jfs and xfs have acls and
20 > security labels, which might be usable. Unsyncable would be a problem,
21 > so it's a good thing rsync has USE=xattr -- do the difficulties come in
22 > on the CVS side? Why do you say unmaintainable?
25 Many users might have extended attributes support turned off in the kernel.
26
27 Regards,
28 Petteri