From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:32:41
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On 11/29/06, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote:
3 >> The 3-4 weeks of releng filing a ton of "doesn't build with gcc-4.1.1"
4 >> bugs
5 >> wasn't a big enough clue? :)
6 >
7 > No. We get those all the time; there's always someone trying out an
8 > unsupported release of gcc.
9
10 From other developers, most of which were releng members?
11
12 >> Also, the arch teams (or at least the arch's
13 >> release coordinator...if they didn't tell the rest of their team,
14 >> that's not
15 >> releng's fault) that were moving to it and people in base-system
16 >> working on it
17 >> were "in the know".
18 >
19 > What about everyone else, who isn't part of an arch team? Sorry, but
20 > I just don't get how you expected us to know it was coming, when you
21 > didn't announce it, and you don't even feel that an announcement was
22 > your (releng's) responsibility (even though stabilisation of gcc-4.1
23 > was for you).
24
25 It's stupid to "blame" releng for the stabilization of gcc-4.1.1. It would have
26 been stabilized soon as part of the normal process of package maintenance
27 whether releng wanted it or not. And really, it was up to each arch to say they
28 wanted it for the release, not releng. We didn't force it on people.
29
30 And as always, if you wanted to know what was going on as part of the release,
31 the info was there for everyone to see in the usual places (such as the
32 gentoo-releng mailing list or the #gentoo-releng IRC channel). This argument
33 about people not knowing what releng is doing seems to come up after every
34 release. It's crap.
35
36 >> Yes, that's part of wolf31o2's idea. The tree would be "non-moving"
37 >> except for
38 >> GLSA's and any dependencies required by the updated version of the
39 >> security-affected package.
40 >
41 > How are you going to ensure that all the security fixes that never get
42 > a GLSA get into the tree?
43
44 If it doesn't get a GLSA, it doesn't get in the release tree. This may mean that
45 we need to modify the GLSA process a bit so that ~arch packages found to be
46 vulnerable get GLSAs as well. Although, release tree users won't have these
47 ~arch versions anyway, so I don't see it being *that* big of an issue.
48
49 >> A slower-moving (or "non-moving" with security updates) tree is
50 >> perfect for me,
51 >> and I'm sure for many other people as well.
52 >
53 > Before you release these trees to users, I trust you'll be doing the
54 > responsible thing, and ensuring that upgrades from one tree to the
55 > next work? You can't take that for granted; package maintainers
56 > cannot be relied upon to test upgrades spanning that length of time.
57 > (Which is why upgrade early, upgrade often is a practical way to
58 > manage Gentoo boxes)
59
60 Absolutely, it would be stupid to release it to users without testing that the
61 upgrade path is even feasible. However, we can't test the upgrade with *all*
62 packages in the tree, but we can certainly do it with certain "profiles" (gnome
63 desktop, kde desktop, LAMP server, etc.) to try to cover as many bases as
64 possible. This testing can be easily scripted.
67 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
68 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
69 Today's lesson in political correctness: "Go asphyxiate on a phallus"
70 --
71 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list