From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:01:38
1 On 11/29/06, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote:
2 > The 3-4 weeks of releng filing a ton of "doesn't build with gcc-4.1.1" bugs
3 > wasn't a big enough clue? :)
4
5 No. We get those all the time; there's always someone trying out an
6 unsupported release of gcc.
7
8 > Also, the arch teams (or at least the arch's
9 > release coordinator...if they didn't tell the rest of their team, that's not
10 > releng's fault) that were moving to it and people in base-system working on it
11 > were "in the know".
12
13 What about everyone else, who isn't part of an arch team? Sorry, but
14 I just don't get how you expected us to know it was coming, when you
15 didn't announce it, and you don't even feel that an announcement was
16 your (releng's) responsibility (even though stabilisation of gcc-4.1
17 was for you).
18
19 You personally went out of your way earlier this year to critisise me
20 about bad communication, just for announcing that work had started on
21 something in Gentoo. And yet here you are today, somehow expecting
22 the rest of us to rely on clairvoyance to know in advance about a
23 change that your team pushed onto the entire tree.
24
25 It's a great illustration why the releng snapshots, as things stand
26 today, aren't the right way to deliver a meaningfully stable tree to
27 our users. It's simply difficult to trust you with the way you choose
28 to behave today.
29
30 > Yes, that's part of wolf31o2's idea. The tree would be "non-moving" except for
31 > GLSA's and any dependencies required by the updated version of the
32 > security-affected package.
33
34 How are you going to ensure that all the security fixes that never get
35 a GLSA get into the tree?
36
37 > A slower-moving (or "non-moving" with security updates) tree is perfect for me,
38 > and I'm sure for many other people as well.
39
40 Before you release these trees to users, I trust you'll be doing the
41 responsible thing, and ensuring that upgrades from one tree to the
42 next work? You can't take that for granted; package maintainers
43 cannot be relied upon to test upgrades spanning that length of time.
44 (Which is why upgrade early, upgrade often is a practical way to
45 manage Gentoo boxes)
46
47 Best regards,
48 Stu