From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:56:18
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 >> > b) Release trees have a nasty habit of picking up last minute changes
3 >> > (such as gcc 4.1) to suit the release, not stability.
4 >>
5 >> Gcc 4.1.1 wasn't a last minute change.
6 >
7 > I can't agree with you there. It doesn't matter how many months of
8 > planning and work you guys put into getting gcc-4.1 fit for stable.
9 > If you're doing it off in your own little corner of the world, and
10 > then springing it on the rest of us just days before the release
11 > happens, then to the much larger dev community, it comes as a last
12 > minute change.
13
14 The 3-4 weeks of releng filing a ton of "doesn't build with gcc-4.1.1" bugs
15 wasn't a big enough clue? :) Also, the arch teams (or at least the arch's
16 release coordinator...if they didn't tell the rest of their team, that's not
17 releng's fault) that were moving to it and people in base-system working on it
18 were "in the know".
19
20 >> The "release tree" isn't really for minimal breakage.
21 >
22 > But that is what Steve (who started this thread) asked for. And what
23 > he has asked for in his previous thread too.
24
25 Well, wolf31o2 has been floating around this idea for quite a while, and I'm
26 speaking from the POV of his ideas. The "minimal b0rkage" tree is far less
27 likely to happen due to the extra manpower involved.
28
29 >> The *real* intent (at
30 >> least from my POV) is to have a non-moving target for vendors to
31 >> certify their
32 >> software against (wouldn't it be nice for Oracle to be actually
33 >> supported on
34 >> Gentoo 2007.0 or something like that?),
35 >
36 > Well, there's a dichotamy here. Sun were able to certify Gentoo
37 > against their hardware without such a tree. Has anyone approached
38 > Oracle and asked them what their actual requirements are? Do Oracle
39 > actually want to certify Oracle on Gentoo at all?
40
41 Certifying hardware and software are 2 completely different things. Also, I'm
42 not sure that Sun certifying their hardware even meant anything. The T2000 dev
43 box has been seeing random lockups and other weird problems, although, that may
44 be related to the fact that it recently "lost" 16GB of memory due to an error
45 detected by the diagnostics. As for the Oracle example, it was just that...an
46 example.
47
48 >> and so admins don't have to do the
49 >> "upgrade dance" once a week or even every day (like I do).
50 >
51 > A slower-moving tree will substantially reduce this amount of work,
52 > but it isn't going to go away, unless your boxes are on a private
53 > network w/ no local security threats at all.
54 >
55 > There'll always be GLSA's to respond to. That's another issue that
56 > needs to be handled w/ a slow-moving tree. Are you going to restrict
57 > changes in the slow-moving tree only to changes against a GLSA?
58
59 Yes, that's part of wolf31o2's idea. The tree would be "non-moving" except for
60 GLSA's and any dependencies required by the updated version of the
61 security-affected package.
62
63 >> The "non-stagnant" nature of Gentoo isn't the only reason that people use
64 >> Gentoo. People use Gentoo for the configurability and customizability. As
65 >> someone who admins more than a handful of Gentoo servers, I would
66 >> absolutely
67 >> *love* the combo of Gentoo's flexibility and a non-moving tree to make
68 >> upgrades
69 >> easier to deal with.
70 >
71 > I honestly don't think you're ever going to get that out of Gentoo,
72 > because of the lack of backporting. Can you live with a slower-moving
73 > tree? Or do you personally really need a non-moving tree?
74
75 A slower-moving (or "non-moving" with security updates) tree is perfect for me,
76 and I'm sure for many other people as well.
79 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
80 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
81 Today's lesson in political correctness: "Go asphyxiate on a phallus"
82 --
83 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list