From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:40:14
1 On 11/28/06, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote:
2 > You make it sound like releng doesn't care at all about non-desktop packages.
3
4 That wasn't how it was meant. Was simply meant as a statement of
5 fact. Releng activities are currently exclusively desktop-oriented.
6 Until that changes, releng snapshots aren't fit for the purpose of
7 being a non-moving tree, as far as servers are concerned.
8
9 > The reason for the "exclusivity" is that the media that's typically built for
10 > release (GRP, LiveCD) is targetted for the largest audience...desktop users. If
11 > someone wants to volunteer to create a set of server-related GRP and a server
12 > LiveCD (as silly as this is for most things), they wouldn't be blocked outright.
13
14 I'd like to see some figures proving that our largest audience is
15 desktop users. I'm not prepared to take that on faith. (Alas,
16 producing these figures is non-trivial in the extreme, if not
17 impossible).
18
19 > > b) Release trees have a nasty habit of picking up last minute changes
20 > > (such as gcc 4.1) to suit the release, not stability.
21 >
22 > Gcc 4.1.1 wasn't a last minute change.
23
24 I can't agree with you there. It doesn't matter how many months of
25 planning and work you guys put into getting gcc-4.1 fit for stable.
26 If you're doing it off in your own little corner of the world, and
27 then springing it on the rest of us just days before the release
28 happens, then to the much larger dev community, it comes as a last
29 minute change.
30
31 If you're "testing the crap" out of something, but only in an
32 exclusively desktop-oriented way ... well, that can only really be
33 partial testing, can't it?
34
35 > The "release tree" isn't really for minimal breakage.
36
37 But that is what Steve (who started this thread) asked for. And what
38 he has asked for in his previous thread too.
39
40 > The *real* intent (at
41 > least from my POV) is to have a non-moving target for vendors to certify their
42 > software against (wouldn't it be nice for Oracle to be actually supported on
43 > Gentoo 2007.0 or something like that?),
44
45 Well, there's a dichotamy here. Sun were able to certify Gentoo
46 against their hardware without such a tree. Has anyone approached
47 Oracle and asked them what their actual requirements are? Do Oracle
48 actually want to certify Oracle on Gentoo at all?
49
50 I personally deplore this habit of trying to second guess what someone
51 else wants. Assumptions are the mother of all fuckups. Let's see an
52 email to -dev from someone at Oracle w/ their shopping list of needs,
53 and then base the discussion around that.
54
55 > and so admins don't have to do the
56 > "upgrade dance" once a week or even every day (like I do).
57
58 A slower-moving tree will substantially reduce this amount of work,
59 but it isn't going to go away, unless your boxes are on a private
60 network w/ no local security threats at all.
61
62 There'll always be GLSA's to respond to. That's another issue that
63 needs to be handled w/ a slow-moving tree. Are you going to restrict
64 changes in the slow-moving tree only to changes against a GLSA?
65
66 > The "non-stagnant" nature of Gentoo isn't the only reason that people use
67 > Gentoo. People use Gentoo for the configurability and customizability. As
68 > someone who admins more than a handful of Gentoo servers, I would absolutely
69 > *love* the combo of Gentoo's flexibility and a non-moving tree to make upgrades
70 > easier to deal with.
71
72 I honestly don't think you're ever going to get that out of Gentoo,
73 because of the lack of backporting. Can you live with a slower-moving
74 tree? Or do you personally really need a non-moving tree?
75
76 If you really need a non-moving tree, I think you're better off with
77 RHES or Ubuntu.
78
79 Best regards,
80 Stu