From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:08:25
1 On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 08:37 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On 11/28/06, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote:
3 > > You make it sound like releng doesn't care at all about non-desktop packages.
4 >
5 > That wasn't how it was meant. Was simply meant as a statement of
6 > fact. Releng activities are currently exclusively desktop-oriented.
7
8 I'm sorry, but how the hell do you know? You are not a member of
9 Release Engineering, and have *NO CLUE* what we do over there. What we
10 release isn't the only thing we do.
11
12 > Until that changes, releng snapshots aren't fit for the purpose of
13 > being a non-moving tree, as far as servers are concerned.
14
15 Luckily, I'm not asking you. Instead, I'm asking interested developers
16 to assist us in making what we plan on doing much more viable. Feel
17 free to sit over there and naysay until you're blue in the face. We'll
18 be over here getting something accomplished via teamwork.
19
20 > > > b) Release trees have a nasty habit of picking up last minute changes
21 > > > (such as gcc 4.1) to suit the release, not stability.
22 > >
23 > > Gcc 4.1.1 wasn't a last minute change.
24 >
25 > I can't agree with you there. It doesn't matter how many months of
26 > planning and work you guys put into getting gcc-4.1 fit for stable.
27 > If you're doing it off in your own little corner of the world, and
28 > then springing it on the rest of us just days before the release
29 > happens, then to the much larger dev community, it comes as a last
30 > minute change.
31
32 Except it was announced before we even made the snapshot, and we worked
33 with the toolchain guys to get it to happen and entirely with their
34 blessing. Just because we didn't take the time out to stop and make
35 sure you were personally comfortable with the change doesn't mean we
36 didn't prepare for it and announce it.
37
38 > If you're "testing the crap" out of something, but only in an
39 > exclusively desktop-oriented way ... well, that can only really be
40 > partial testing, can't it?
41
42 Again, you don't know what you're talking about, so I'd really
43 appreciate it if you just shut the hell up until you decide to get
44 yourself informed on the facts.
45
46 > There'll always be GLSA's to respond to. That's another issue that
47 > needs to be handled w/ a slow-moving tree. Are you going to restrict
48 > changes in the slow-moving tree only to changes against a GLSA?
49
50 That's what we've said.
51
52 > I honestly don't think you're ever going to get that out of Gentoo,
53 > because of the lack of backporting. Can you live with a slower-moving
54 > tree? Or do you personally really need a non-moving tree?
55 >
56 > If you really need a non-moving tree, I think you're better off with
57 > RHES or Ubuntu.
58
59 While I truly appreciate your ability to give your opinion, I don't
60 care. As I said, I am working on this concept as an experiment. It is
61 being done by Release Engineering. We aren't really *asking* anyone for
62 their opinion. We're simply stating what we plan on working on and will
63 be asking people who *want* to participate to do so. Anyone not
64 interested in participating in this Release Engineering-driven project
65 is welcome to completely ignore us, as we will them.
68 Chris Gianelloni
69 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
70 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
71 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
72 Gentoo Foundation