From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improving the stabilisation process - part 1
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 10:24:08
1 On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 20:05:55 +1100
2 Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'm not sure what you mean. A standardised format and a bot to repoman
5 > check lists in this format is part of my original post.
6
7 Ah. I didn't take enough care reading it and mostly replied on the earlier part.
8
9 Good to see we reached similar conclusions through different avenues.
10
11 (NB: I find "too long didn't read" coming at the bottom of a post not too productive
12 because people who feel an article was too long to read tend to not read to the bottom
13 just in case somebody put a TL;DR there. I always find that data to be better presented
14 head-first, in a "read this first to get the general gist of it, then keep reading if you care
15 about details" format, that way you hit your target audience sooner)
18 > > But at this point we're dove tailing good ideas into a fundamentally limited system
19 > > where we probably should have some dedicated interface (and tools) to automate and
20 > > verify these things.
21 >
22 > A dedicated portal for handling this type of thing would of course be
23 > preferable, and work is ongoing on such a tool. However, completing and
24 > rolling out such a system could take a very long time. Improvements to
25 > the stabilisation process via Bugzilla can be rolled out in very little
26 > time.
27 >
28 > Let's not block incremental progress in favour of a perfect solution
29 > that doesn't exist yet.
30
31 Agreed. I'm fine with this as a concept as an initial staging.
34 > > Automating the *tests* is a contentious idea to some extent, but I doubt we'd see opposition
35 > > for the idea of "throw repoman at it at least and make sure it doesnt' barf"
36 >
37 > That depends on how you define 'test'. This proposal (part 1) deals
38 > exclusively with repoman, primarily to make sure that we don't waste
39 > time working on requests where the maintained failed to include all
40 > required atoms.
41 >
42 > A future proposal will certainly involve fully-automated build testing
43 > of all requests, allowing effort to be better focused on runtime
44 > testing. I'm unsure how that could be controversial.
45
46 I'm not saying *I* have a problem with this, but I've gotten the over-all vibe
47 from some people that "autostabilizing all the things is bad" and I wanted to demark
48 this action as being somuch the opposite of that that even those people are unlikely to complain.
49
50 Because the subset of tests that only prove *repoman* integrity can't ever be
51 imagined sufficient in themselves to mark anything as "stable" or "working",
52 and so it forces people somewhere to do due diligence manually.
53
54 Hence, the general vibe is the fear that the abundance of automation will usurp
55 due diligence as people use that automation as the *only* indicator of "do we flip the flag" or not.