From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improving the stabilisation process - part 1
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 09:06:10
1 On 25/11/16 18:51, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 14:40:36 +0800
3 > Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> One way would be to use a plain text attachment with a standardized
6 >> filename. If there are updates to the list then the new should obsolete
7 >> the old and the script can pull non-obsoleted ones.
8 >> The problem then is how do you search for them properly? put them all
9 >> in the title anyway? then its duplicated.
10 >>
11 >> When i do big lists of packages the title is eg "XFCE Stabilization for
12 >> Nov 2016" which is not duplicated and okay.
13 >> For single packages the title is just "cat/pkg-1.2.3 stablereq" so then
14 >> we duplicate anyway?
15 >
16 > If you standardized the format / filename, you could have some process
17 > that monitors bugzilla and indexes its contents and computes overlaps,
18 > and provides per-arch aggregates grouped by bugs.
19 >
20 > Then the "tester" would get it in the format:
21 >
22 > =cat/pn-VERSION #4145 #678345
23 > =cat/pn-VERSION #4145
24 > =cat/pn-VERSION #678345
25 >
26 > Having it in a standardized form would also potentially make it repoman-checkable
27 > via automation:
28 >
29 > Just like our current QA bots do, a QA Bot could fetch the keywording/stabilization
30 > "recipie" and locally apply the requisite changes, and then do a basic repoman sanity
31 > check to ensure coherence.
32
33 I'm not sure what you mean. A standardised format and a bot to repoman
34 check lists in this format is part of my original post.
35
36 > But at this point we're dove tailing good ideas into a fundamentally limited system
37 > where we probably should have some dedicated interface (and tools) to automate and
38 > verify these things.
39
40 A dedicated portal for handling this type of thing would of course be
41 preferable, and work is ongoing on such a tool. However, completing and
42 rolling out such a system could take a very long time. Improvements to
43 the stabilisation process via Bugzilla can be rolled out in very little
44 time.
45
46 Let's not block incremental progress in favour of a perfect solution
47 that doesn't exist yet.
50 > Automating the *tests* is a contentious idea to some extent, but I doubt we'd see opposition
51 > for the idea of "throw repoman at it at least and make sure it doesnt' barf"
52
53 That depends on how you define 'test'. This proposal (part 1) deals
54 exclusively with repoman, primarily to make sure that we don't waste
55 time working on requests where the maintained failed to include all
56 required atoms.
57
58 A future proposal will certainly involve fully-automated build testing
59 of all requests, allowing effort to be better focused on runtime
60 testing. I'm unsure how that could be controversial.