From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-2 stablisation plans
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:27:44
1 Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 11:48 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
3 >> (GDP): you give us the info, we'll document it for you. Or I will at least.
4 >
5 > Well, the changes are as outlined in my first email.
6 > The user changes are mainly a few variables in the /etc/conf.d/* files
7 > that baselayout ships. For example a few have been removed and a few
8 > have been added, and a few have changed.
9
10 Yeah, I planned on doing some heavy reading of the new stuff, but I hope
11 I can get you all alone (heh heh heh) for awhile to go over questions
12 that will surely pop up. In case things like new networking configs
13 aren't intuitive, or whatever.
14
15 >> 3) How long will 1.x be kept stable? (This affects how long the old
16 >> instructions are in the handbooks etc.)
17 >
18 > Good question. We normally keep at least one major revision prior to the
19 > current stable in the tree. They can stay in the tree indefinitely I
20 > suppose, but the GDP should only follow the current stable. Maybe
21 > archive the handbook?
22
23 Archiving the handbook isn't possible. The only thing we archive for
24 historical purposes are the networkless handbooks, in
25 /doc/en/handbook/2006.0/, 2006.1/, etc. I'm thinking that if
26 baselayout-2 is the way of the future, then as soon as it's stabled for
27 all arches (see below for a bit more) then we should pretty much just
28 document that exclusively in all handbooks & docs. That's where a
29 migration guide will be so crucial. Since the thing can't be slotted,
30 and it's a forced upgrade (short of masking, but BAH to those users that
31 do it), I don't think we need to document two completely different
32 systems if they're both stable.
33
34 >> 5) Do you have a rough estimate (month, 3 weeks, 5 weeks, what?) on when
35 >> the first arches might be stabilizing 2.x?
36 >
37 > No.
38 > If the RC's prove stable and no serious regressions are reported for a
39 > month then we'll probably release a final 2.0.0 and get arch teams to
40 > mark stable a week later, or right away if no last minute changes have
41 > been made.
42
43 What'd really be nice is if it goes stable for all arches (or at least
44 all of the ones that matter, subjectively) either in time or after the
45 next release. Otherwise, there's going to be some more complications
46 from users who install from media containing old baselayout-1.x and have
47 to deal with the new 2.x right away. I guess we'll see. /me pokes
48 wolf31o2. ;)
49
50 > Most of the documentation should still apply. I've tried to be as
51 > compatible as possible - the one possible exception being networking as
52 > baselayout-1 used bash arrays extensively. But we still support that
53 > if /bin/sh is bash, which it is by default for Gentoo/Linux
54
55 Yeah. Though I still don't know the whole story, I anticipate that
56 updating the networking configs will be the biggest headache.