From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-2 stablisation plans
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:12:09
1 On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 11:48 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > (GDP): you give us the info, we'll document it for you. Or I will at least.
3
4 Well, the changes are as outlined in my first email.
5 The user changes are mainly a few variables in the /etc/conf.d/* files
6 that baselayout ships. For example a few have been removed and a few
7 have been added, and a few have changed.
8
9 >From our perspective, /etc/conf.d/* is quite well documented, so GDP
10 could easily diff the files to see what has changed.
11
12 > Of equal concern to me, however are a few issues:
13 >
14 > 1) How will stabilization work? Is it a forced upgrade from stable 1.x
15 > to 2.x, or can it be slotted?
16
17 It cannot be slotted in any way or form.
18 Also, the daemon state data is non transferable as the format has
19 changed in baselayout-2. This is the data that records how a daemon was
20 started by s-s-d so we can check if it's running or not. However, most
21 end users won't be concerned by this.
22
23 I've tested the ebuilds for upgrading and downgrading quite extensively,
24 with the following notes.
25 baselayout-1 *requires* bash. As such /bin/sh should point to bash
26 before downgrading.
27 If the /etc/init.d files are not immediately updated by etc-update or
28 other means then errors will happen. What errors and how severe entirely
29 depend on the scripts the user has in /etc/init.d
30
31 > 2) It will be completely unmanageable to have more than one set of
32 > baselayout instructions in the handbook & other docs, so there
33 > definitely is a need for the migration doc.
34
35 That's your call.
36
37 > 3) How long will 1.x be kept stable? (This affects how long the old
38 > instructions are in the handbooks etc.)
39
40 Good question. We normally keep at least one major revision prior to the
41 current stable in the tree. They can stay in the tree indefinitely I
42 suppose, but the GDP should only follow the current stable. Maybe
43 archive the handbook?
44
45 > 4) What baselayout will be used in the next release? (Maybe that's more
46 > of a releng question.)
47
48 baselayout team just makes baselayout releases. If you mean the LiveCD
49 then ask releng.
50
51 > 5) Do you have a rough estimate (month, 3 weeks, 5 weeks, what?) on when
52 > the first arches might be stabilizing 2.x?
53
54 No.
55 If the RC's prove stable and no serious regressions are reported for a
56 month then we'll probably release a final 2.0.0 and get arch teams to
57 mark stable a week later, or right away if no last minute changes have
58 been made.
59
60 > This is all from the GDP's perspective, almost none of it is of interest
61 > to me as a user; I expect this sh** to work just as well as
62 > baselayout-1.x when I hit the upgrade myself. :)
63
64 In theory it should just work. Especially as Gentoo/FreeBSD has been
65 running it as our standard baselayout for around 6 months now. So
66 hopefully this should be a very smooth release.
67
68 > Documenting this will be a major arsepain--er, effort--since baselayout
69 > 1.x directions are already mixed in so well with pretty much every doc
70 > we have. I'm not at all looking forward to fixing the docs when the time
71 > comes, but I will do it provided I get to borrow your brain for a good
72 > long time. :)
73
74 Most of the documentation should still apply. I've tried to be as
75 compatible as possible - the one possible exception being networking as
76 baselayout-1 used bash arrays extensively. But we still support that
77 if /bin/sh is bash, which it is by default for Gentoo/Linux
78
79 Thanks
80
81 Roy