From: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:39:22
1 On Thursday 27 November 2003 19:50, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > > Just to chip in my 2p to the thread that refuses to die. Why does the
6 > > system administrator have to agree to any license before installing
7 > > software? He is quite a separate person from the user and copyright law,
8 > > and licenses like the GPL, only cover redistribution, not installation,
9 > > so he need not concern himself with those either. Surely if programs have
10 > > user restrictions then it is the responsibility of the program to display
11 > > a clip wrap license for each individual user, otherwise how would they be
12 > > aware one exists?
13 >
14 > Other licenses (which I personally would probably never accept) may cover
15 > installation.
16
17 In that case, there should be a (hopefully short) list of those licenses, and
18 only those licenses should be covered by the license-install-accept variable
19 in make.conf. It is not possible, or legal, for the system administrator to
20 accept licenses governing usage or redistribution on behalf of other users.
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list