From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:35:06
1 On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 05:39, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On Thursday 27 November 2003 19:50, Luke-Jr wrote:
4 > > Hash: SHA1
5 > >
6 > > > Just to chip in my 2p to the thread that refuses to die. Why does the
7 > > > system administrator have to agree to any license before installing
8 > > > software? He is quite a separate person from the user and copyright law,
9 > > > and licenses like the GPL, only cover redistribution, not installation,
10 > > > so he need not concern himself with those either. Surely if programs have
11 > > > user restrictions then it is the responsibility of the program to display
12 > > > a clip wrap license for each individual user, otherwise how would they be
13 > > > aware one exists?
14 > >
15 > > Other licenses (which I personally would probably never accept) may cover
16 > > installation.
17 >
18 > In that case, there should be a (hopefully short) list of those licenses, and
19 > only those licenses should be covered by the license-install-accept variable
20 > in make.conf. It is not possible, or legal, for the system administrator to
21 > accept licenses governing usage or redistribution on behalf of other users.
22
23 Would you care to explain ALL click-through licenses then? I would say
24 a good 99% of them are only shown to the person installing the software,
25 which is always the administrator, except in the case of a user
26 installing the software to his home directory, which is NOT ever the
27 case portage.
28
29 While it may not be the best method of license acceptance, it is the
30 only method we have available. It is our job to ensure that we do what
31 we can to maintain compliance with the license as set forth by the
32 software authors.
33 --
34 Chris Gianelloni
35 Developer, Gentoo Linux