From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Time based retirements
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 22:51:42
1 Markos,
2
3 Markos Chandras wrote:
4 > I totally disagree with the way Doug started this thread.
5
6 That's of course completely fair, but try to look beyond that, and
7 let's focus on how we can make things better for everyone.
10 > Calling us "brain dead" ?
11
12 Please read email even more carefully, especially when you read
13 something that makes you upset. I think you completely misunderstood
14 what Doug wrote. He wrote:
15
16 "I'm curious who had the brain dead idea to retire Gentoo developers
17 that are still interested in the distro"
18
19 So as I mentioned in a previous email that I wrote, *you* aren't
20 being attacked here. "brain dead" is of course strong wording, but
21 note that it refers to the idea and *not* to anyone who is
22 implementing the idea. I guess the idea is really really old by now.
25 > No sorry, I am not willing to discuss anything about this policy
26 > nor willing to change it
27
28 That's not very helpful. I had expected much more from you, since you
29 are a strong contributor to Gentoo since a long time.
32 > if someone can't behave properly and ask us nicely to discuss the
33 > problem.
34
35 As I wrote, I think Doug's email was nice enough. He included his
36 attitude as background for an inquiry. It should be pretty easy to
37 recognize which is which, and for the community to work together on
38 making things better for everyone, with focus on the inquiry.
39
40 Refusing to discuss and change for any reason seems pretty weird to
41 me.
42
43 Basically you are saying that communication can only happen on your
44
45 own terms, instead of trying to always adjust communication to your
46 party. Guess what happens if both parties do that.
49 > We never *insulted* or *threated* anyone with retirement
50
51 Cool! My impression of the process was the exact opposite. I don't
52 have experience from it of course, but the way it was described it
53 was certainly a big part of me not being able to grow motivation to
54 work through the Gentoo recruitment process.
57 > I never expected this attitude just for asking "hey are you there?
58 > do you still want to maintain all these packages? any ETA on coming
59 > back". Seriously...
60
61 Maybe you can understand that there is a disconnect between what
62 people who have no experience from what you do and what you actually
63 do? That was certainly the case for me, and maybe also for Doug. The
64 documentation that I once read was certainly much more aggressive
65 than what you and others describe, and it's easy to assume that
66 documentation is correct. :)
69 //Peter