From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure, Will it ever end?
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:30:13
1 On Sunday 23 November 2003 08:43, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
2 > That's what most of the responces have pointed out - Gentoo's currrent
3 > philosophy is to give us all choice to run what we need or desire.
4 > Unfortunately some people felt we should not have that choice and wanted to
5 > dump any package that did not meet their approval as free, open, whatever
6 > out of portage and anyone who wants those packages had to go find them
7 > himself. Not real tolerant. Gentoo's setup is fine for all and tolerates
8 > each side - why change it?
9
10 Because you are still looking at it from two sides. Stop proliferating this
11 "us & them" theme so aggressively. My motivation for the change is that it
12 addresses several needs. I'll illustrate:
13
14 1) The person who only wants to run FSF approved software can ensure that he
15 does.
16 2) The person who only is able to legally run free-for-noncommercial-user
17 software can ensure he does.
18 3) The inquisitive person (me) who wants to know all the licenses they are
19 implicitly agreeing to can find out easily.
20
21 There are many needs and issues to do with licensing other than the "us &
22 them" that most cannot see beyond.
23
24 Jason
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list