From: "Derek J. Belrose" <derek@×××××××××.com>
Cc: Jeff Rose <rosejn@××××××××.EDU>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:33:57
Well the X install is in the future it seems.  I think gentoo would
benefit from a cli install/package manager more than it currently has.

I think we should sit down and chart out exactly how we want this to
actually work.  I like Jeff's idea about the stages of install being
done seperately...the basic installation, then portage sync then package
selection.

I think that's a good starting ground for design conversations.  A
couple of ideas that I have put forth...

It should work over serial line consoles as well as local displays.
It should be really easy for a beginner, yet possible for the most
advanced user to take control at any point.

-- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list