From: Frantz Dhin <fd@×××××××.dk>
To: jon@××××××××.net
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avifile ebuild requires divx4linux and win32codecs on x86
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 01:59:10
On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 01:43, Jon Lech Johansen wrote:

> I haven't pointed out any grey areas. What are you talking about? > > The legal issue at hand is very simple: > > The mplayer project (and Gentoo mirrors) is distributing win32 codecs > which are copyrighted by Microsoft, Apple and others. Which license > agreements permit this distribution?
Why are you carrying on this discussion here for-bloody-ever? There are no lawyers here or noone even halfways qualified to have this discussion, and you are certainly not one either. I do not see why you are so hell bent on complaining on behalf of Microsoft and Apple. If they have a problem they should have resource enough to object for themselves. Furthermore I highly doubt there is reason to fear a sudden $1 billion lawsuit from Microsoft for copyright infringement. Even MS knows that all they need to do to rectify alleged wrongdoings is to send a simple email to Daniel Robbins and matters will be handled promptly. It is not black magic or chinese math to anyone (except maybe people who like to argue for the sake of arguing). Regards -F -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list