From: Rob W <rowboat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Broken Sound in KDE3
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 02:54:17
1 Yes, both those modules are in modules.autoload, and they load without
2 complaint at boot. Even when I click on OSS sound in KDE control center, I
3 still get nothing.
4 I have abandoned ALSA for now. It has been removed from the boot
5 runlevel, and the module snd-sb16 has been commented out in my
6 modules.autoload. I give up.
7 Now I have to get OSS working.
8 I may have to just dump the old ISA PNP SB16 (even though it worked fine
9 in Gentoo previously) and get a SB Live! Value card for $50 or so. It would
10 probably make life simpler, and I'd be getting to bed before 3:00 am.
11 Anyway, I appreciate your help.
12 Rob W.
13
14 ----- Original Message -----
15 From: "Christian Hergl" <weehawk@×××××××.de>
16 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
17 Cc: <rowboat@×××××.com>
18 Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 12:25 AM
19 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Broken Sound in KDE3
22 > Hi Rowboat,
23 >
24 > dunno if it was tried here already, but did you, after starting alsa in
25 > the boot runlevel, have the modules snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss loaded?
26 >
27 > If not, put those in your modules.autoload (for the next boot, or
28 > modprobe then now), and select the open sound system in the Soundserver
29 > of kde. Unmute manually with alsamixer, and test the sound, it works
30 > here that way.
31 >
32 > Greetings,
33 > Christian
34 >
35 > Rowboat wrote:
36 > > Hanez,
37 > > Thanks for this important suggestion. I made sure alsa was removed from
38 all
39 > > runlevels using rc-update, then added alsasound to the boot runlevel. I
40 > > rebooted and still get the same errors. I DID find a module in
41 > > /etc/modules.d called 'alsa.old' that was getting loaded during boot.
42 (I
43 > > found its entry in modules.conf, and traced it back to modules.d) I
44 removed
45 > > that file completely to a different location, but still get the exact
46 same
47 > > errors on boot or 'modprobe -a'.
48 > >
49 > > If an old version of ALSA is still on my system, where would it be? I
50 would
51 > > like to delete it, or else 'emerge unmerge alsa' as a last resort.
52 > >
53 > > Thanks again,
54 > > Rob W.
55 > >