From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for November
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 20:17:40
1 On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 20:01:52 +0000 Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 05:54:13PM +0000 or thereabouts, Ciaran
4 | McCreesh wrote:
5 | > We've identified one very widely used application that interprets
6 | > SPF records based upon how they're used by spammers rather than by
7 | > how the specification says they should be interpreted. In this
8 | > case, SA is entirely reasonable in its behaviour -- SPF makes the
9 | > classic incorrect assumption that spammers won't abuse the system.
10 |
11 | Ciaran, you obviously do not understand the issue, nor do you know
12 | what you're talking about.
13
14 No, I do, you're just missing the point.
15
16 | The impact is that some users happen to send mail in a way that ends
17 | up looking very similar to a spammer sending an email with a forged
18 | return-path. And, because of the way SA has chosen to interpret this,
19 | those valid, non-spam emails get assigned a positive spam value, even
20 | when the mail administrator has asked them not to.
21
22 And why do you think it does that?
25 Ciaran McCreesh
26 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org