From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [IMPORTANT] server/client USE flags
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:20:30
1 Hi,
2
3 currently we have a lot of packages in the portage tree that provide
4 both server and client implementations of a package, big things like
5 mysql and samba but also small stuff like telnet-bsd. Often people don't
6 need the server part of these packages, but currently there is no way to
7 disable them. Some packages have splitted the package, but this is IMO
8 not a good idea in general, as often the ebuilds are the same except for
9 one or two commands.
10 So my idea (as well as others) is to add a new "server" USE flag that
11 controls wether the server part of a package is build. This idea is
12 outlined in more details on bug 12499, which also had the idea of a
13 "client" USE flag, so that it's possible to only build the libs or only
14 the server, however I think that such a flag will create more problems
15 than benefits (see the bug for explanations).
16 So, I'd like to get some opinions/comments from people on this idea, as
17 this is coming up about every month and there wasn't really any action
18 to solve this issue.
19
20 Marius
25 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
26 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.