From: Donny Davies <woodchip@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [IMPORTANT] server/client USE flags
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:17:17
1 Hi Marius
2
3 On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:20:17AM +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 [...]
5 >So my idea (as well as others) is to add a new "server" USE flag that
6 >controls wether the server part of a package is build. This idea is
7 >outlined in more details on bug 12499, which also had the idea of a
8 >"client" USE flag, so that it's possible to only build the libs or only
9 >the server, however I think that such a flag will create more problems
10 >than benefits (see the bug for explanations).
11
12 I do not support this. Debian's SAMBA has at least subpackages for
13 - common
14 - doc
15 - smbclient
16 - winbind
17 - swat
18 - smbfs
19 - python
20 - pam
21
22 which is nuts. Users dont know what to install to get what they need.
23
24 I recall looking at mod_php (or maybe it was php) subpackages for another
25 distribution, and there were _dozens_ of them. Insane in the membrane.
26
27 I like the way Gentoo traditionally works; you emerge something and you
28 get it all, with some knobs to control build-time dependencies.
29
30 Further, you are overloading the intended function of USE variables.
31 Instead of controlling optional build-time functionality, now you
32 are abusing them to control optional install-time bits.
33
34 It is not natural to stop at "client" and "server" flags either.
35 What about "dev" for .a and .h things? This is really going down
36 the slipperly slope in my opinion.
37
38 Donny