From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Wikis
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:59:00
1 Corey Shields <cshields@g.o> writes:
2
3 > [snip]
4
5 > I really can't support an official wiki. If our current method of
6 > documentation and support totally sucked then it would be a different story,
7 > but we are known for excellent documentation, and there is a system of checks
8 > and balances in the documentation process that you just don't get from a
9 > wiki. Otherwise, you end up with phrases like "While most poeple use would
10 > use this : " which makes no sense (taken from the first page I visited at
11 > the above url). I feel that a wiki would be taking a step
12 > backwards..
13
14 I wasn't thinking of using a wiki to host the documentation currently
15 maintained by the documentation team. Rather, it could be used for
16 posting less formal descriptions and status updates relating to specific
17 projects -- it would surely be more convenient than breaking out Guide
18 XML, not to mention the various other tasks required for posting it on
19 the web site, and would thus likely lead to more information being
20 available. If a page in the wiki developed into something ready for
21 posting as official documentation, it could be converted to Guide XML,
22 either manually or in part automatically by the wiki software.
23
24 > If there is a piece of documentation that someone has written and
25 > feels it should be included, by all means, post it to bugs.gentoo.org.
26 > While I can't speak for them, I'm pretty sure that the documentation
27 > team would love the contribution.
28
29 Particularly for users, a wiki would not only provide a place to post
30 less formal tutorials, but also a convenient staging ground for possible
31 future official documentation. Right now, there are only two places for
32 such documents: the forums, which isn't particularly well suited for
33 various reasons, and as official documentation on the documentation
34 page. There is no middle ground, and so a user in particular is
35 unlikely to go the route of official documentation. Consider that for
36 an initial revision of some tutorial, a user is likely to post it to the
37 wiki rather than the forums (as is done currently), but is not likely to
38 revise it sufficiently and write it in Guide XML such that it is
39 approved as official documentation. Consider in particular that many of
40 the better howtos and tutorials in the forums have developed into their
41 current state through various updates over a period of time, starting
42 From initial versions that were much farther from official
43 documentation.
44
45 > As for the earlier comment that a wiki could be used in place of a
46 > planet site, that's like using Excel to write your letters. Sure, you
47 > could do it, but it's not the best tool for the job.
48
49 Perhaps more like using LaTeX to write all your letters. (which I do) ;)
50
51 Seriously though, when I made that comment, I had not visited Planet
52 Gnome and so I did not realize that something for personal and not
53 project-related content was being proposed. I agree that for a personal
54 log with entries like "I read Great Expectations today," a wiki is not
55 particularly suitable. I don't think we need an official place for such
56 content though, while I *do* think we need a place for the sort of
57 content I describe above.
60 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard