From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Wikis
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:43:48
1 On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 03:57:45PM -0400, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
2 > I wasn't thinking of using a wiki to host the documentation currently
3 > maintained by the documentation team. Rather, it could be used for
4 > posting less formal descriptions and status updates relating to specific
5 > projects -- it would surely be more convenient than breaking out Guide
6 > XML, not to mention the various other tasks required for posting it on
7 > the web site, and would thus likely lead to more information being
8 > available. If a page in the wiki developed into something ready for
9 > posting as official documentation, it could be converted to Guide XML,
10 > either manually or in part automatically by the wiki software.
11 [...]
12 > Particularly for users, a wiki would not only provide a place to post
13 > less formal tutorials, but also a convenient staging ground for possible
14 > future official documentation. Right now, there are only two places for
15 > such documents: the forums, which isn't particularly well suited for
16 > various reasons, and as official documentation on the documentation
17 > page. There is no middle ground, and so a user in particular is
18 > unlikely to go the route of official documentation. Consider that for
19 > an initial revision of some tutorial, a user is likely to post it to the
20 > wiki rather than the forums (as is done currently), but is not likely to
21 > revise it sufficiently and write it in Guide XML such that it is
22 > approved as official documentation. Consider in particular that many of
23 > the better howtos and tutorials in the forums have developed into their
24 > current state through various updates over a period of time, starting
25 > From initial versions that were much farther from official
26 > documentation.
27
28 Although I certainly support the use of a WiKi (amongst all the other
29 possible ways to develop documentation) for the development of a certain
30 document, the problem isn't the medium on which the document is hosted
31 _before_ it becomes official.
32
33 If you want to use OOo's shared document feature to write good
34 documentation, by all means please do.
35
36 Yet once a document is finalised and published on the Gentoo website, it is
37 important that it remains as static as possible (look who's talking *cough*)
38 so that:
39 - users don't get too confused when their favorite document has changed once
40 again without having a real content change
41 - translators don't run away screaming with a big shotgun in their hands to
42 kill off that one person that makes their job miserable
43 - user's don't kill off too many trees by repeatedly printing out documents
44 when they have changed
45
46 Documentation is a difficult "product". Having statical documentation is a
47 must, but it must remain bugfree (which is difficult already). I believe
48 that our current mechanism is the perfect medium for documentation
49 development (once it is established).
50
51 I support _a_ WiKi as _a_ development platform for _unpublished_
52 documentation. Once published, I think that a WiKi will put too much
53 pressure on the document itself as every person can change the entire
54 document to his or her liking:
55 - rephraze certain sentences
56 - use some synonyms to sound more intelligent
57 - move parts up/down so it fits *your* sense of "Good Documentation" (not
58 TM'ed)
59 - add lots of trivial stuff
60 - add lots of "Off The Wall" information
61 - add huge parts of verbatim text that doesn't really help much
62 - ...
63
64 Wkr,
65 Sven Vermeulen