From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel source for gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 13:36:11
1 On Sat, 19 May 2001 19:53:40 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger)
2 wrote:
3
4 [ snips ]
5
6 > I updated the kernel packages yesterday, you can now use
7 linux-sources-2.4.4.9
8 > If you want the default configuration copy
9 > /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux-sources/files/2.4.4-ac9/config.boootcomp to
10 > /usr/src/linux/.config before you run make {x,menu}config. This kernel
11 package
12 > uses the following USE variables for extras
13 > "lvm lm_sensors pcmcia-cs alsa". Add the ones you want top the USE
14 > variable in /etc/make.conf.
15 > After you have build the kernel you can build the extras modules and
16 > utilities by installing linux-extras-2.4.4.9.ebuild.
19 > Hmm, there seems to be a bug in modultils.
20 > /lib/modules/[uname-r]/modules.dep is not generated correct.
21 > Remove /etc/modules/[unname -r] and /etc/modules.conf and run
22 > /etc/rc.d/init.d/modules. This will generate those files again.
25 > yes that is a modutils problem. I'm currently testing a new modules
26 > ini.d script that should do a workaround for that prob.
29 Now I have a kernel and modules with the extra stuff I need, but I can't
30 get
31 gentoo to load the modules automatically.
32
33 I rebuilt the modules.conf as suggested, but I still only get the tulip
34 module
35 for eth0 loaded automatically. Other distributions do this with
36 /etc/modules/default, but I put entries for esssolo1 (also requires
37 soundcore),
38 ide-scsi, sr_mod, and sg (the last three are used for ide-scsci CDRW
39 support)
40 in default, but no results.
41
42 How do I get these loaded automatically?
43
44 Also, even though modprobe esssolo1 produces the same messages that I get
45 on my Caldera distribution, xfce starts with no sound available. Other
46 than
47 order of loading (on Caldera sound loads first, then ide-scsi, and then
48 tulip),
49 I can't find any differences, but xfce is able to use sound on Caldera?
50
51 Any clues?
54 Collins Richey
55 Denver area