From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel source for gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 13:49:36
1 Collins Richey wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, 19 May 2001 19:53:40 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger)
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 > [ snips ]
7 >
8 > > I updated the kernel packages yesterday, you can now use
9 > linux-sources-2.4.4.9
10 > > If you want the default configuration copy
11 > > /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux-sources/files/2.4.4-ac9/config.boootcomp to
12 > > /usr/src/linux/.config before you run make {x,menu}config. This kernel
13 > package
14 > > uses the following USE variables for extras
15 > > "lvm lm_sensors pcmcia-cs alsa". Add the ones you want top the USE
16 > > variable in /etc/make.conf.
17 > > After you have build the kernel you can build the extras modules and
18 > > utilities by installing linux-extras-2.4.4.9.ebuild.
19 >
20 > > Hmm, there seems to be a bug in modultils.
21 > > /lib/modules/[uname-r]/modules.dep is not generated correct.
22 > > Remove /etc/modules/[unname -r] and /etc/modules.conf and run
23 > > /etc/rc.d/init.d/modules. This will generate those files again.
24 >
25 > > yes that is a modutils problem. I'm currently testing a new modules
26 > > ini.d script that should do a workaround for that prob.
29 > Now I have a kernel and modules with the extra stuff I need, but I can't
30 > get
31 > gentoo to load the modules automatically.
32 >
33 > I rebuilt the modules.conf as suggested, but I still only get the tulip
34 > module
35 > for eth0 loaded automatically. Other distributions do this with
36 > /etc/modules/default, but I put entries for esssolo1 (also requires
37 > soundcore),
38 > ide-scsi, sr_mod, and sg (the last three are used for ide-scsci CDRW
39 > support)
40 > in default, but no results.
41
42 we use /etc/rc.d/config/modules for that
45 > How do I get these loaded automatically?
46 >
47 > Also, even though modprobe esssolo1 produces the same messages that I get
48 > on my Caldera distribution, xfce starts with no sound available. Other
49 > than
50 > order of loading (on Caldera sound loads first, then ide-scsi, and then
51 > tulip),
52 > I can't find any differences, but xfce is able to use sound on Caldera?
53 >
54 > Any clues?
55 >
56 > --