From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving HOMEPAGE out of ebuilds for the future
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:57:42
1 On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Peter Volkov <pva@g.o> wrote:
2 > В Вск, 30/11/2008 в 17:09 +0200, Serkan Kaba пишет:
3 >> Peter Volkov yazmış:
4 >> > Also sometimes it's useful to have different HOMEPAGE for different
5 >> > versions.
6 >> >
7 >> > And in general, Diego. What are you trying to improve with this change?
8 >> > The original intention was to separate common information from all
9 >> > ebuilds into metadata.xml. But obviously, HOMEPAGE changes from ebuild
10 >> > to ebuild. Now if intention is separate some information from ebuild
11 >> > into metadata.xml then, please, tell me what is the criterion for such
12 >> > information? Why not LICENSE? Currently I don't think this change worth
13 >> > our efforts...
14 >> >
15 >> LICENSE should definetely be avoided to be defined per-package. Upstream
16 >> may decide to relicense new version of packages.
17 >
18 > Well, actually the reason we should avoid LICENSES in metadata.xml is
19 > that it's used by portage and possibly at some point of time it'll be
20 > possible to filter packages based on LICENSE. But the general question
21 > still stands: what is the criterion we should use to separate variables
22 > from .ebuild into metadata.xml and what are the benefits of such
23 > separation?
24
25 Going to randomly jump in, partially because I have a comment here.
26
27 Ebuilds are already filterable by license in portage, Marius
28 implemented that a while ago. I'm sure the other package managers
29 have similar filtering abilities.
30
31 To the general thread:
32
33 Anecdotal evidence is stupid. No one cares if one of your packages
34 has a different homepage per version.
35 Go scan the tree and show how many packages have this problem and we
36 can at least have useful data then (X% of the tree).
37
38 Zac, if we ask you to prioritize elibs, how long do you think
39 implementation will take?
40
41 Diego, What are the concrete benefits of your proposal?
42
43 All,
44
45 It is important to note that we are a large diverse group of folks and
46 when you propose global changes you have to be willing to sell your
47 idea to a large number of folks or implement it alone. Coming to a
48 list with no data and no real 'pros/cons' data for your idea isn't not
49 a good way to sell it to anyone.
50
51 However cool the idea is, it is *never* obvious to everyone. It is
52 never cost free.
53
54 -Alec
57 > --