From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving HOMEPAGE out of ebuilds for the future
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:54:22
1 В Вск, 30/11/2008 в 17:09 +0200, Serkan Kaba пишет:
2 > Peter Volkov yazmış:
3 > > Also sometimes it's useful to have different HOMEPAGE for different
4 > > versions.
5 > >
6 > > And in general, Diego. What are you trying to improve with this change?
7 > > The original intention was to separate common information from all
8 > > ebuilds into metadata.xml. But obviously, HOMEPAGE changes from ebuild
9 > > to ebuild. Now if intention is separate some information from ebuild
10 > > into metadata.xml then, please, tell me what is the criterion for such
11 > > information? Why not LICENSE? Currently I don't think this change worth
12 > > our efforts...
13 > >
14 > LICENSE should definetely be avoided to be defined per-package. Upstream
15 > may decide to relicense new version of packages.
16
17 Well, actually the reason we should avoid LICENSES in metadata.xml is
18 that it's used by portage and possibly at some point of time it'll be
19 possible to filter packages based on LICENSE. But the general question
20 still stands: what is the criterion we should use to separate variables
21 from .ebuild into metadata.xml and what are the benefits of such
22 separation?
25 Peter.