From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: eudev project announcement
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:04:04
1 > We're drifting here, but the concept is that machine-local stuff like
2 > configuration stays out of /usr, and generic distro stuff stays in
3 > /usr.
4 >
5 > A webserver for site1 vs site2 would be identical in /usr, but
6 > different elsewhere.
7
8 That has always been the case. In fact people have tried to
9 seperate /etc from / but it has proved too problematic. That's a
10 different issue entirely. If the proposal was / (etc) /root /usr. I
11 would be happy... if it worked.
15
16 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
17 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
18 universal interface'
19
20 (Doug McIlroy)