From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: eudev project announcement
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:03:23
1 On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > No one has proposed moving everything to /usr. At the minimum, we would
3 > still have /etc and /var in /, as well as various mountpoints. If we do
4 > move those to /usr, then we effectively renamed / to /usr, which is
5 > pointless. The absurdity of mounting /usr over NFS instead of / is
6 > precisely why people are saying to just mount / (with /usr as being part
7 > of it).
8
9 We're drifting here, but the concept is that machine-local stuff like
10 configuration stays out of /usr, and generic distro stuff stays in
11 /usr.
12
13 A webserver for site1 vs site2 would be identical in /usr, but
14 different elsewhere.
15
16 However, that whole approach makes less sense for a distro that prides
17 itself on you being able to make every installation unique. That
18 said, if you do want to make a whole bunch of Gentoo installs the same
19 then sticking everything important in /usr and network mounting it is
20 a good way to accomplish it.
21
22 Rich