From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] encode useflag
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 12:36:41
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2
3 >Another useflag-related question.
4 >
5 >Currently, the encode useflag is defined as follow:
6 >
7 >encode - Adds support for MEncoder or LaME encoder, wherever applicable
8 >
9 >this is a loose definition which is quite useless for medium user, as it's
10 >used also in a non-complete-standard way in all ebuilds.
11 >
12 >My proposal is to start using lame useflag to enable lame support (in software
13 >which is just encoding on itself), and using encode with a slight different
14 >definition for example:
15 >
16 >encode - Adds support for encoding files in addiction to decoding
17 >
18 >so that it can be used to enable generic encoding support instead of specific
19 >using lame or mencoder.
20 >
21 >Comments?
24 I don't like it. I'm in the group of people that think there are already
25 way too many use flags. I think a better solution is for someone to go
26 ahead and work on getting use flag description info added to the
27 metadata.xml files. It is after all supposed to be extensible isn't it.
28
29 --Iggy
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list