From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:34:16
1 On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 18:21 -0400, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > > Seemant: I'd like to continue to discuss the ways of council decission
3 > > on gentoo-council rather than on gentoo-dev ML. :-)
4 >
5 > Happy to do that, in the general case. In this specific case, however,
6 > it's valid here, because the entire thread revolves around a rather rash
7 > council decision (who knew such a thing was even possible?) that affects
8 > pretty much all Gentoo developers (and prospective developers).
9
10 Seemant is half right here. The discussion should stay here, but only
11 if the discussion is about the technical issues involved in multiple
12 suffixes. Anybody who plans on simply making this a bitching session
13 should reconsider sending any replies, at all. How someone can even
14 pretend that this is such an important issue is beyond me. Nobody held
15 some secret emergency meeting. Most likely, three Council members were
16 simply talking, and decided that the best course of action is to block
17 further changes to the tree involving multiple suffixes until a proper
18 decision can be discussed and decided upon. This makes complete sense
19 to me as it seems like something that should be done to keep the changes
20 from spreading for the short term. Seriously, what is up with all the
21 anti-Council conspiracy theories? Are you guys really *that* against
22 the Council trying to do *anything* productive, at all? Should we all
23 just give up and quit?
24
25 It seems that every time I open my email client, somebody out there is
26 trying to say that by the Council using the powers afforded to them that
27 somehow they're conspiring to take down Gentoo. Yeah... because that's
28 just what the Council wants to do, make Gentoo a steaming pile of rubble
29 so we can be the supreme rulers of... nothing. Now, if only we can get
30 all these pesky developers out of the way, we could rule the world!
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
35 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
36 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
37 Gentoo Foundation
38 (Ashamed to call myself a developer these days)