From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:24:10
1 Hi Danny,
2
3 > Look at it from my POV. I only knew about the alsa version at first.
4 > I knew it was removed already. Then i learned about mplayer. Ok... i can
5 > live with that as long as nothing else in there. Then I learned about
6 > transcode and I asked my fellow Council members to cut it.
7
8 I'm not sure I see that as a council issue, to be honest, but that's ok.
9
10 > Besides, the affected maintainers have since then silently and gladly
11 > agreed to remove said versions and agree that we should stick to known
12 > methods until proper combinations of version suffixes have been agreed
13 > on.
14
15 You see, that would have been my first approach, instead of a rushed
16 council weighing in.
19 > Seemant: I'd like to continue to discuss the ways of council decission
20 > on gentoo-council rather than on gentoo-dev ML. :-)
21
22 Happy to do that, in the general case. In this specific case, however,
23 it's valid here, because the entire thread revolves around a rather rash
24 council decision (who knew such a thing was even possible?) that affects
25 pretty much all Gentoo developers (and prospective developers).
26
27 Thanks,
28
29 Seemant