From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:34:37
1 Am Mittwoch, 25. April 2007 schrieb Seemant Kulleen:
2 > Hi Danny,
3 >
4 > > Look at it from my POV. I only knew about the alsa version at
5 > > first. I knew it was removed already. Then i learned about mplayer.
6 > > Ok... i can live with that as long as nothing else in there. Then I
7 > > learned about transcode and I asked my fellow Council members to
8 > > cut it.
9
10 > I'm not sure I see that as a council issue, to be honest, but that's
11 > ok.
12 In my eyes it was a policy issue. Tree-wide policies have to pass the
13 council in one form or the other. So why shouldn't Council care here?
14
15 > > Besides, the affected maintainers have since then silently and
16 > > gladly agreed to remove said versions and agree that we should
17 > > stick to known methods until proper combinations of version
18 > > suffixes have been agreed on.
19
20 > You see, that would have been my first approach, instead of a rushed
21 > council weighing in.
22 I just wonder why several people feel attacked by this decission while
23 the affected parties have no problem with it.
26 > > Seemant: I'd like to continue to discuss the ways of council
27 > > decission on gentoo-council rather than on gentoo-dev ML. :-)
28 >
29 > Happy to do that, in the general case. In this specific case,
30 > however, it's valid here, because the entire thread revolves around a
31 > rather rash council decision (who knew such a thing was even
32 > possible?) that affects pretty much all Gentoo developers (and
33 > prospective developers).
34 Anybody who attends the regular Council meetings and/or reads their
35 logs/summaries knew that this kind of decission is possible.
36
37 Danny
38 --
39 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
40 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list