From: Gavin <gavin@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New drivers category in portage (Was [gentoo-dev] macos mess)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:39:54
1 > linux, etc.) and I second spyderous' suggestion of drivers-${TYPE}.
2
3 I'm currently using RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM in /etc/make.conf with a hand-edited list of patterns describing files that are irrelevant to my platform/config/needs/etc., to almost cut in half the number of files sync'd by 'emerge sync'.
4
5 If we're adding another dimension of things that are irrelevant to my platform, is there a better way of avoiding the wasted bandwidth incurred by emerge sync'ing without resorting to a manually maintained list referenced by RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM?
6
7 If every ebuild had "type/kind/purpose/etc." classifications, then I could define combinations of classifications with different update (emerge sync) priorities/frequencies, vastly reducing both bandwidth consumption and my time required to maintain this bandwidth reduction system for emerge sync's. Obviously, such a system needs "smarts" to know what which ebuilds must be fetched, regardless of classification priorities (e.g. depends on which packages are already emerged and their current/new dependencies).
8
9 BTW, I joined this list recently, and I haven't been tracking portage development, so I probably
10 missed something relevant. If the ideas above are old hat, just press 'delete' ..
11
12 Cheers,
13 Gavin
16 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list