From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ACCEPT_RESTRICT for questionable values of RESTRICT
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:14:42
1 On 1/11/07, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 > getting quite hostile. The only thing I can possibly gather from this
3 > is you're intentionally being fucking dense, so it's not worth my time.
4 > How is it that you can ignore half an email and only respond to
5 > something out of context and then still fuck *that* up?
6
7 Chill fellas.
8
9 Imo, FEATURES = things we say 'portage, mutate everything like so' ,
10 and "RESTRICT" to my way of thinking is per-package dependant, more
11 like USE flags, except more general and apply to all packages.
12
13 I think one of the arguments is that it provides a level of
14 communication between the package and portage/user as to what types of
15 things a package is permitted to do.
16
17 Say for example, we have a package called "child" ( forgive me If I've
18 also missunderstood the point of this feature ) . Now by default, say
19 all packages are not allowed "to go outside", but package "child" has
20 a unique situation where it needs to perform "go outside" in order to
21 merge. The "child" package of course is naïeve and knows nothing about
22 the outside environment that its trying to install into. So the child
23 reports a "RESTRICT='go outside' ( if i understand correctly ) , and
24 it can only "go outside" by doing this 'RESTRICT" request. By default,
25 the environment has ACCEPT_RESTRICT="go outside" in it. Now the
26 environment owner may be running a situation where they dont want apps
27 'going outside' and potentially trashing thier manicured lawn so they
28 say ACCEPT_RESTRICT="-go outside" , and after that instruction, all
29 ebuilds requesting to go outside will be bluntly denied.
30
31 Is that analogy of any sence to anybody?, or Have I completely missed
32 the plot too :S
33
34 -
35 Kent