From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:47:54
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Please don't comment any further until you understand how this whole
3 > thing works.
6 I think this is a bit of an unrealistic expectation. This change
7 impacts EVERYBODY - devs, users, etc. To expect people not to comment
8 on it simply because they're not qualified to write a package manager is
9 a bit naive. Like it or not you do need to obtain some kind of general
10 agreement before making a change of this magnitude.
11
12 Even so - I'm impressed about how civil this discussion has actually
13 remained.
14
15 Feel free to continue to make your points, but a GLEP requires some kind
16 of census - not just silence after everybody gets tired of hitting
17 reply. If somebody doesn't know what they're talking about - persuade
18 them - don't just tell them to be quiet.
19
20 I usually like to look at stuff like this in terms of pros and cons. So
21 here are the pros and cons I can see regarding this change:
22
23 PRO:
24 Very simple to determine the EAPI of an ebuild - regardless of what is
25 inside
26 Works with existing PMs
27 Simple
28
29 CON:
30 Yet another value to be parsed out of an increasingly-complex filename.
31 Doesn't look pretty :)
32 Makes a low-level detail more visible to users.
33 You can't make a wild change to how EAPIs are specified - since old PMs
34 will expect it to be in the filename in a particular format.
35
36 The other option that seems popular is just continuing with EAPI=1 or
37 whatever in the file (likely with a restriction on format that makes it
38 parsable without BASH). I see these pros/cons for this solution:
39
40 PRO:
41 Very simple to determine the EAPI of an ebuild - regardless of what is
42 inside
43 Works with existing PMs
44 Simple
45 Doesn't add another field to the filename - reducing complexity
46 Not very visible to users
47 Looks pretty :)
48
49 CON:
50 You can't make a wild change to how EAPIs are specified - since old PMs
51 will expect it to be inside the file in a particular format.
52
53 I don't see how the latter is any worse than the former - its main
54 limitation applies to both methods - just in a different place. I think
55 you'd get far more consensus to the latter approach. And if for
56 whatever reason this fails way down the road it could always be moved to
57 the filename at that time.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature