From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:40:11
1 On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:57:54 +0100
2 Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o> wrote:
3 > What if we do not start with "EAPI=1" variable, but "eapi 1" function
4 > immediately ?
5
6 Uhhhhh. Then we're back to the zillion months wait before people can
7 use anything.
8
9 > *) Given it is the first bash-command in the ebuild:
10 > Just 'echo' the required EAPI and exit while PM is in "look-for-eapi"
11 > mode (remember 'eapi' function is part of PM, or profile.bashrc as
12 > fallback for ancient PM).
13
14 There isn't a look for eapi mode.
15
16 > *) As 'eapi' being a bash function, it could *migrate* the
17 > bash-environment from the PM's default EAPI to the given one - or just
18 > spit "cannot migrate EAPI from A to B"...
19
20 Uh... No it couldn't. And there's no default EAPI.
21
22 > *) Or just spit a message "update your PM" (from profile.bashrc) ...
23
24 Uh... No it couldn't.
25
26 Please don't comment any further until you understand how this whole
27 thing works.
30 Ciaran McCreesh