From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise -- Proposal
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 05:18:50
1 Comments inline ...
2
3 On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 13:37 +0200, Markus Ullmann wrote:
4 > Okay, so after figuring out open problems (thanks to kloeri and various
5 > other people for help here), we now have a resolution that should
6 > satisfy all involved parties here. This should adress dostrow's demands
7 > as well.
8 >
9 > 1) m-w / m-n requirement
10 >
11 > Only ebuilds that are reported to bugzie (valid bug#) and set to
12 > maintainer-wanted are allowed here as well as maintainer-needed ones.
13 >
14 > maintainer-needed are only allowed if they're removed from the tree and
15 > moved over to sunrise (and thus end up as maintainer-wanted again).
16
17 Fine.
18
19 > 2) Not one large tree but subdirs, one per herd
20 >
21 > to help herds better keeping track of which parts are alive in the
22 > overlay, each herd's ebuilds are grouped in a subdir, e.g. there will be
23 > a netmon/ dir with net-analyzer/specialapp below it.
24
25 Fine.
26
27 > 3) a yes from herds required, keeping a timeout to avoid bugspam
28 >
29 > after a comment has been placed on a maintainer-wanted bug in bugzie,
30 > there's a grace time of two weeks for herds to either leave a comment on
31 > whether they're fine with take over or not. When this time is over and
32 > it is assigned to maintainer-wanted, then and only then it is implied as
33 > an OK to keep it also in the sunrise project.
34
35 I'm 100% against implicit acceptance. If someone from the sunrise
36 project wishes to add an ebuild to the overlay they should have to get
37 an explicit OK from the team in question. The sunrise project could of
38 course keep a list of teams that have given a blanket OK and of those
39 that have totally opted out. For those teams in between an OK per
40 package sought by the sunrise project's team members is needed. I'm
41 sorry but the leg work to track this stuff and get acceptance has to be
42 100% on your projects head. Your proposal adds a need for me to actually
43 look at bugs for packages that I may have no interest in. I don't pay
44 any attention to maintainer-wanted now I don't want to pay any attention
45 to a subset of that ever.
46
47 > 4) work needed by herds
48 >
49 > - take a look at the homepage of the new program
50 > - take a look at the ebuild
51 >
52 > If you're at least partly happy with the new app, drop a note on the bug
53 > or just ping sunrise that you're ok with it. Then sunrise takes it over
54 > and improves the ebuild together with the contributor so that it reaches
55 > a level where it could theoretically be committed to the tree.
56 > Herds are more than welcome to help here if they feel like it but basic
57 > checks whether the app should ever be on gentoo will be sufficient.
58
59 So long as this is voluntary and the level of acceptance that I
60 described above is met I'm OK with it.
61
62 > 5) commit access to the overlay
63 >
64 > We implement two levels of commit rights:
65 >
66 > 1. As there are people out there who just want to maintain one app for
67 > start, the ebuild should reach a level that project devs are fine with
68 > it, then the user is given permission to commit on that single app. An
69 > automated check makes sure that he doesn't commit anywhere else. If
70 > violations arise, the access is revoked immediately.
71 >
72 > 2. People who contribute good ebuilds over a certain period of time are
73 > allowed upon decision by project devs to actively help maintaining the
74 > project. They'll be given commit rights for the project then. Same frome
75 > above applies here: If we notice any abuse, we revoke access immediately.
76
77 Again so long as the team that would have to maintain it in the tree
78 says OK *explicitly* then sure.
79
80 > 6) QA assurance
81 >
82 > Of course there are minor issues with the ebuilds, otherwise they could
83 > be committed straight forward. Important thing is that it only finds the
84 > way into overlaye if the trusted committers (project devs and users who
85 > are given permission explicitely, see above) are fine with it.
86 > Additional note on arch issues: initially, just ~x86 and ~amd64 may be
87 > set. The rest would need successful test reports for other ~arch
88 > keywords. Stable keywording isn't permitted at all, there will be some
89 > automated check to make sure no one does it (by accident) here.
90 >
91 > Additional note: we won't start adding this to layman and making it
92 > available easier until the QA checks have been implemented.
93
94 Erm...no! See that is the thing about item #1 on my list...there is
95 nothing preventing Joe User from checking out the overlay and adding say
96 a ppc64 keyword or a mips keyword to ${random_ebuild} meaning that bugs
97 *will* be generated for arch teams for packages that are not in the
98 tree.
99
100 Also note I'm not talking necessarily about the "Hey, I installed
101 ${package} and it broke." bugs because if ${package} isn't in the tree
102 bug-wranglers can catch it and off you go...the arch teams aren't
103 involved. What I am talking about is "Hey, my ppc64 started doing weird
104 things yesterday, ${daemons} are no longer working." having that bug
105 assigned to the arch team, and then spending a long time only to track
106 down that the user installed some random library from sunrise seven days
107 ago and there just happened to be upgrades to programs that took
108 advantage of said library in unexpected ways.
109
110 The *only* way you can avoid dumping that sort of stuff onto the arch
111 teams is to have the expertise in house. Otherwise a VERY BAD habit will
112 form. Dev A looks at a bug, sees the sunrise overlay listed in emerge
113 --info and before looking even an iota further will assign it to the
114 sunrise project because who knows the problem *may* have come from some
115 unknown ebuild there and there is *no* way to know without a lot of
116 potentially wasted time. This *will* lower the quality of the
117 distribution as a whole. So...nope I don't accept the stipulation that
118 it will only be ~amd64 and ~x86 for now because there is no way you can
119 keep it that way once it hits the users machine.
120
121 I also strenuously object to the addition of other keywords without
122 someone on the sunrise project who can verify the reports validity. This
123 means by the way, having access to the arch yourself *and* having enough
124 understanding of the package and the arch to be able to keyword...for
125 the main tree we call this being an arch team member.
126
127 Above and beyond that until QA checks that meet or exceed the main
128 tree's standards are in place...don't bother.
129
130 > 7) tag on bugs
131 >
132 > All ebuilds that are made available on sunrise get an InOverlay KEYWORDS
133 > entry on bugs.g.o so that everyone, who looks at the bug, knows about it.
134
135 OK.
136
137 > 8) Grace time also given from the go point on.
138 >
139 > When we see that this gets a bit fine-tuning / acceptance among devs, we
140 > will explicitely call out a two weeks notice for ebuilds currently
141 > assigned to maintainer-wanted so that herds can keep an eye on them and
142 > either comment as given, reject take over permission completely, close
143 > as WONTFIX in case they're against the app for the tree in futures or
144 > just drop a note that they're fine with the take over and the
145 > development can be started on the ebuild.
146 > Remember the way they need to be reviewed as said in 4). The ebuild is
147 > subject to development, the sunrise devs do help with it in case your
148 > herd lacks time to completely take care of it.
149
150 See my comments above...an explicit OK is needed, an explicit rejection
151 with an implicit acceptance just plain won't do.
152
153 > 9) Security
154 >
155 > In this early stage we have no security liaison on board yet. If one is
156 > willing to help out here, we'd be more than glad on welcoming him :)
157
158 And until you do...don't bother.
159
160 Thanks for going over what I put out there but there is still a good
161 ways to go. I hope you see from my statements above that part of what
162 I'm getting at is it'll take *many many* devs to do this right. At the
163 moment I know of you and genstef, and again not meaning this as a dig,
164 but that is nowhere near enough.
165
166 The bugs are languishing because there are not enough devs to maintain
167 them and/or not enough interest in them. Making them more usable without
168 a nearly identical support structure to the main tree will not make the
169 social problem go away, it'll just introduce many new weird technical
170 problems into an already overburdened equation.
171
172 I understand the desire to use this as a facility to "train-up" new devs
173 but I'm frankly flabbergasted that you seem to overlook the potentially
174 huge burden this will place on the rest of the developer community until
175 such time as each and every package in sunrise is in the main tree with
176 a maintainer. In the long run things may get a little better, in the
177 short run there is a very large potential for things to get *much*
178 worse.
179
180 --Dan