From: Markus Ullmann <jokey@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise -- Proposal
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:38:14
1 Okay, so after figuring out open problems (thanks to kloeri and various
2 other people for help here), we now have a resolution that should
3 satisfy all involved parties here. This should adress dostrow's demands
4 as well.
5
6 1) m-w / m-n requirement
7
8 Only ebuilds that are reported to bugzie (valid bug#) and set to
9 maintainer-wanted are allowed here as well as maintainer-needed ones.
10
11 maintainer-needed are only allowed if they're removed from the tree and
12 moved over to sunrise (and thus end up as maintainer-wanted again).
13
14 2) Not one large tree but subdirs, one per herd
15
16 to help herds better keeping track of which parts are alive in the
17 overlay, each herd's ebuilds are grouped in a subdir, e.g. there will be
18 a netmon/ dir with net-analyzer/specialapp below it.
19
20 3) a yes from herds required, keeping a timeout to avoid bugspam
21
22 after a comment has been placed on a maintainer-wanted bug in bugzie,
23 there's a grace time of two weeks for herds to either leave a comment on
24 whether they're fine with take over or not. When this time is over and
25 it is assigned to maintainer-wanted, then and only then it is implied as
26 an OK to keep it also in the sunrise project.
27
28 4) work needed by herds
29
30 - take a look at the homepage of the new program
31 - take a look at the ebuild
32
33 If you're at least partly happy with the new app, drop a note on the bug
34 or just ping sunrise that you're ok with it. Then sunrise takes it over
35 and improves the ebuild together with the contributor so that it reaches
36 a level where it could theoretically be committed to the tree.
37 Herds are more than welcome to help here if they feel like it but basic
38 checks whether the app should ever be on gentoo will be sufficient.
39
40 5) commit access to the overlay
41
42 We implement two levels of commit rights:
43
44 1. As there are people out there who just want to maintain one app for
45 start, the ebuild should reach a level that project devs are fine with
46 it, then the user is given permission to commit on that single app. An
47 automated check makes sure that he doesn't commit anywhere else. If
48 violations arise, the access is revoked immediately.
49
50 2. People who contribute good ebuilds over a certain period of time are
51 allowed upon decision by project devs to actively help maintaining the
52 project. They'll be given commit rights for the project then. Same frome
53 above applies here: If we notice any abuse, we revoke access immediately.
54
55 6) QA assurance
56
57 Of course there are minor issues with the ebuilds, otherwise they could
58 be committed straight forward. Important thing is that it only finds the
59 way into overlaye if the trusted committers (project devs and users who
60 are given permission explicitely, see above) are fine with it.
61 Additional note on arch issues: initially, just ~x86 and ~amd64 may be
62 set. The rest would need successful test reports for other ~arch
63 keywords. Stable keywording isn't permitted at all, there will be some
64 automated check to make sure no one does it (by accident) here.
65
66 Additional note: we won't start adding this to layman and making it
67 available easier until the QA checks have been implemented.
68
69 7) tag on bugs
70
71 All ebuilds that are made available on sunrise get an InOverlay KEYWORDS
72 entry on bugs.g.o so that everyone, who looks at the bug, knows about it.
73
74 8) Grace time also given from the go point on.
75
76 When we see that this gets a bit fine-tuning / acceptance among devs, we
77 will explicitely call out a two weeks notice for ebuilds currently
78 assigned to maintainer-wanted so that herds can keep an eye on them and
79 either comment as given, reject take over permission completely, close
80 as WONTFIX in case they're against the app for the tree in futures or
81 just drop a note that they're fine with the take over and the
82 development can be started on the ebuild.
83 Remember the way they need to be reviewed as said in 4). The ebuild is
84 subject to development, the sunrise devs do help with it in case your
85 herd lacks time to completely take care of it.
86
87 9) Security
88
89 In this early stage we have no security liaison on board yet. If one is
90 willing to help out here, we'd be more than glad on welcoming him :)
93 Greetz,
94 Jokey