From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving HOMEPAGE out of ebuilds for the future
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:28:43
1 On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 14:50 +0100, Tobias Scherbaum wrote:
2 > Jan Kundrát:
3 > > Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
4 > > > I have a very quick proposal: why don't we move the packages' homepage
5 > > > in metadata.xml (since it's usually unique for all the versions)
6 > >
7 > > I believe the reason was that HOMEPAGE might change with new versions
8 > > and that metadata.xml didn't (doesn't?) support version-specific data.
9 >
10 > In most (nearly all?) cases a HOMEPAGE change does also affect older versions.
11 > Does someone have an example where older versions stay at an old homepage
12 > and newer versions moved to a new homepage? Which (and how many) packages would be affected by that?
13
14 I've seen this happen for at least one ruby package where the package
15 got forked, with the old stagnant versions still on the old homepage and
16 the new versions on the new homepage.
17
18 I still favor the move to metadata.xml, even though there are probably a
19 few more edge cases like this.
20
21 Kind regards,
22